With Ys IX: Monstrum Nox completed last month, only Ys X: Nordics remained as the stone left unturned in my Ys return journey, which has now spanned several months. Instead of going straight for Ys X, however, I decided to revisit some older Ys titles first, and one of them happened to be Ys: Memories of Celceta.
Ten years ago, I played Ys: Memories of Celceta on my PS Vita and even managed to earn the Platinum trophy. For some reason, though, I believe I lost the assets I had originally planned to use for my Ys Celceta articles. Fast-forward to 2026, and I have now completed my revisit of the game once again, this time on Nintendo Switch. However, I decided not to go all the way toward 100% completion this time around for personal reasons.
Overall, Ys: Memories of Celceta on Nintendo Switch is pretty much a straight port of the Vita version. I was actually quite surprised to find that this particular Ys entry, released after Ys Seven, has not aged particularly well. Perhaps part of the reason is that I recently played Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, and the overall quality of that game is simply far beyond what Celceta was able to deliver.
As part of the series' continuity, Ys: Memories of Celceta is a rather mediocre entry, especially considering that it is a remake of an Ys title with a rather complicated history. Celceta still has plenty of memorable chiptunes, though, as expected from Falcom's legendary flagship series. That said, the overarching narrative that Ys Celceta has to offer remains solid, and ultimately, that is what matters most in any proper Ys iteration.
Even if I don't particularly like Ys Celceta, I still managed to get some enjoyment out of my journey. Surprisingly, some of my muscle memory from my original playthrough remains quite intact, and it was still fun to spend the late game spamming Aura Fencer with Adol. I would say, however, that the final boss in this game is rather underwhelming.
Overall, this detour in my Ys journey was still worthwhile because it gave me a chance to refresh my memories of the game. Along the way, I also gathered some assets for future Ys Celceta-related blog posts.
And be assured that I will eventually prepare a full-fledged article discussing Ys: Memories of Celceta, even if it may take some time to get around to it.

No comments:
Post a Comment