If Cowboy Bebop used mecha instead of spaceships, I think Gun x Sword would be the closest thing to it. I started watching this anime in preparation for Super Robot Wars T, and it definitely doesn’t disappoint as a mecha fan!
Gun x Sword shares plenty of similarities with Cowboy Bebop: a ragtag band of misfits led by a carefree protagonist, who happens to be driven by a personal vendetta against the main villain. To me, Gun x Sword feels like a series that sits somewhere between Wild Arms and Cowboy Bebop—the closest thing we have to a spaghetti-western mecha anime.
Surprisingly, Gun x Sword also has fairly high production values for its time, and its mecha designs are some of the more memorable ones from that era. The series gets off to a solid start in its first half, although I felt it lost some momentum during the second half, which may have contributed to it becoming relatively forgotten.
Nevertheless, Gun x Sword does manage to conclude its story properly, and despite its flaws, it remains a fun and worthwhile watch even today.

No comments:
Post a Comment