After a very successful run over the past few years, Flashgitz’s Warhammer 40K-inspired animated series, Space King, has reached another major milestone. Announced alongside the release of its fifth episode, Space King is now getting its own board game. The game is being launched as a Kickstarter campaign running through the end of September, with pledges starting at $99.
For its initial board game launch, Space King follows the typical Kickstarter board game formula: it is heavily focused on miniatures and appears to be firmly in the American-style board game genre. If the project proves successful, I could see a more retail-friendly version following in the near future, which is something I would be particularly interested in, since I have never been particularly into miniature-heavy games.
Having followed Flashgitz since their Space Hulk animation days, I am not particularly surprised that the Space King series has reached this level of success. The series has managed to tap into the Warhammer 40K market by offering a very well-made parody that can stand on its own. As long as Flashgitz maintains this level of animation quality in the foreseeable future, I think Space King has the potential to grow into a successful multimedia franchise, with video games being an obvious product that could follow in the future.

No comments:
Post a Comment